Friday, May 1, 2009

Close your eyes and see him
Why do you search for him here and there?
Why do you search for him in every face?
Why do you wander like a madman from forest to mountain?
Close your eyes and see him
Why do you search for him in every face? Why do you invite strangers to your bed?
He is the beauty of every face, though even the earth has not seen him
Love him who has no form
He is in your heart, the torches burn
The carriage runs, vanishing now and then
If the body burns, does the soul vanish?
I speak only in metaphors, his beauty is without form
Why do you seek him in man?

And if you cannot be satisfied with the one you love
The one you were betrothed to, then o unfortunate one, burn
The scriptures gave him to you, your heart chose him
If you cannot still be satisfied, then burn
I have seen the infinite and yet I long for the finite
Who can be more unfortunate than me?

What is this joy I feel? I sing of my joy
The sky is full, the kalbaishakhi comes,
I am in your heart, yet I delude myself you are not there
All is you, I have vanished
With your sword you have destroyed me, the sky sparkles with lightning
This sorrow is joy, this sea of absence that washes me away is joy
I have reached a state where I cannot be unhappy anymore
What ever you give me, gives me joy
I neither seek salvation, nor do I seek this world
You are all, what shall I seek?
How can I be wrong, when you keep me in your lap?

O you who wear the moon in your hair, o destroyer of passion
O terrible fear, o you from whom I seek escape
O lord of fear, o lord of nightmare, o lord of the infinitely cruel and infinitely returning
I seek nothing, o death, what shall death do to me when I have you
The greater fear chases away the less
O thirst, o lord of elements, you are the fear and loneliness at the heart of things
You give sorrow to the world, you smear it with ashes
You destroy love, you make all men orphans
You take them back into yourself again
What death shall I fear? What fear shall I fear? What lack of love shall I fear? What failing of duty shall I fear? What ill-repute shall I fear?
I strike my hands on your unyielding chest, you keep your doors closed
O fear that lies at the heart of things, o insecurity
In my fear I saw you, in my fear I asked you to rescue me
Now my fear has become my saviour, my fear showed you to me
I do not want this fear to leave me, fear is my dearest friend
In my fear I saw the sky, I saw the sun in the eclipse
One moment I am unconscious, the next I preach consciousness to the world
I sought you in form, now I see you in everything
Who is as fortunate as me?
I asked you to become finite for me, now the infinite washes me away
Who is as fortunate as me?
The night is one with the sea, the night is one with me
Nothing exists except the flowering tree, you and me
Who do I desire but you?
Three walked, a fourth came, and I lost my sense in lust for the fourth
Now all is me
What is this infinite happiness, what is this sea of immortality?
I am numb, yet my senses have multiplied
I feel as though the world has become a thousand worlds
And I am living a thousand lives
I am a corpse on whom a thousand sensations wash away
I have stopped living as a metaphor, I describe my own sensations
I can do no wrong, for God works through me

Your body is as lightning, your face is the moon
I shiver, yet my bones are full with satisfaction
Let others receive wealth and glory, you alone are enough for me
And this marrow-deep satisfaction, this ache of being well-spent
Night and dawn have met in my body and become one
Let others seek freedom, even death sings to me and singes me with pleasure
For you make love to me when I die even as you did during my lifeThe serpent that coils around your neck enters me
I become the starless night
I cannot share, so I chose as my betrothed him who has no part
Now he has made me partless
My bones ache, my marrow sings in ecstasy



~~the wolf

No comments: