Tuesday, June 19, 2007

You, sun, do not satisfy me
Like a snowstorm pelts a bear
Then leaves me spreadeagled on the ice
As it evanishes, only a faint water streak
On the tongue, as beautiful as a mirage
In the desert whose four corners
Are the four minaars
That tie my arms, as the doves swoop down
To drink from the cool green pool
And a word escapes to you
There is no God but God, and so I worship you
Long did I worship statues
Now shall I adore you in empty halls
And whose windows carved in mirror reflect
Me, not you
I can't leave you -- if I do, my soul shatters
And boys play with it, in their cruel smiles a new game
I sit down and collect the pieces
Every shard shines with your thought
Do you exist? I do not know
I to exist -- must believe in you
For you are, so I am
If you are not, I will not be...
Just a lie, a thinning blood.

What is prayer but flirting with God, I asked
God laughed, and gave me you
I prayed no more.
The jealous God laughed in your eyes
I clutched your hair
And forgot myself
The drowning breezes
Swept dust away from the courtyard
The bared graves swept by brown leaves
Turned their heads and went to sleep
Till Judgement Day will wake all men
And ask them how much their love was worth

Worth enough, merciful rogue, to give us spring,
And wine when it has left, a cup of fire
And ice to cool it, the dark span of lengthening night
When I wait for you, though you do not come.

Will it not be God's proudest day,
When pointing to his heart, Man shall say
This, God, is your temple, worship me,
Or go away --
Be conquered by what you have made
I am your qiblah, or you are not so good a sculptor
If your art couldn't make, what I worship everyday.

~~copyright...scio amo...lol

2 comments:

dipple said...

absolute shameless self-love, the widow and amo are doomed.Like me.
Prometheus

darkling said...

enigmatci...charming...amzing imagery....bows